Disclaimer: This post will discuss both the TV show Game of Thrones and the book series A Song of Ice and Fire. Be warned, I will be discussing topics that reveal what has happened on the show for the past 7 seasons and first three episodes of season 8 and written series for the past 5 books. I will discuss characters that are in the books and not the show and vice versa. This discussion will include all storylines. It is riddled with information from both sources.
I made some predictions about Game of Thrones Season 8. Three episodes have been broadcasted of the final season of Game of Thrones and a lot has been revealed. With only three episodes left before the show is finished. Honestly that makes me sad. There are only about 4 hours left with show. Even sadder is there are still lots of issues to resolve with this series.
Honestly, I thought more would have happened by now. My guess to the question why more has not happened (read: more main characters being killed) is hopefully much more is on the way and those characters are needed. The fight against the (Undead-Others) + (dead-wights) enemy is complete and the living won. Now a new war will be fought to determine what life is going to be like going forward.
I have made errors in my predictions in the past. I own them. But for Season 8, I made some way-out there guesses. A bunch of them were for fun, even if I didn’t believe they would actually happen. Still my track record is none too pretty indeed. Some could still happen, even if it is very unlikely. Some are blown out of the water.
Format will be: A quick synopsis of my hypotheses was- followed by an answer.
1. Five year jump- Did not happen. Although at the end; there could be one. Maybe between episodes 5 & 6? Maybe during episode 6. Kind of a VH1 Behind the Music: Where are they now? type presentation. That could be fun. Not looking good for this one.
2. Dornish plot- No real hypothesis here. More just ranting. But the Dornish plot was trash. Can’t state that enough. Some might assume I am only talking about the show but can anyone tell me how it made the books any better? Waiting a decade to set up marriages? Not helping the people who are the real catch. Just a bunch of words that would have been relevant if there were any real machinations going on. It is an afterthought with some cool characters involved.
3. House Dayne’s demise from the plot- House Dayne is still not involved in the show. I can’t see where they will be moving forward. I would be surprised if any mention of Dorne will happen going forward. RIP House Dayne.
Beric Dondarrion’s “last kiss” to Tormund Giantsbane- Nope. In fact there was no “last kiss”. At All?!? Only a last heroic deed to allow Arya accomplish her mission.
4. “Fake Aegon”- Could still happen. But I expected a reveal along with some war elephants in episode 1. I expected Aegon to be a shining knight beside Captain-General Harry Strickland when they had audience with Queen Cersei and Iron Born King Euron. We didn’t get Aegon or the elephants either. Unless Euron is going to have a big reveal later. Not sure we will get that reveal nor the Golden Prince. Would be a fun political intrigue move though.
5. Bronn secretly freed Tyene and Ellaria Sand- Can’t imagine this being true. It is an out there hypothesis to begin with more for fun. Something that might give him more allies. But seeing how Cersei reacted about the elephants; she would truly lose it if she lost her Dornish “toys”.
6. Samwell Tarly and Bran Stark will not tell Jon Snow about his parents- Boy was I wrong on this one. Jon probably does not want the crown or the throne. There are still a few things that can happen here.
Jon may abdicate? If he does, we will see more of Sam played by Jon Bradley who is killing it this season. From his telling Jon about his true biological parentage to his nerves during the battle, Sam/Jon Bradley is great this season.
7. Jon may marry Daenerys? There is no time for this. Doesn’t mean it won’t happen, But it has to be low on the list.
Maybe Jon will be a surprise combatant in episode 5? The director of all the great battles of the show (Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards, Battle of Winterfell) Miguel Sapochnik will be back to direct episode 5. Although Miguel also directed the season 6 finale Winds of Winter; his primary duty has been the great battles of GoT.
Jon might take the throne himself? I see this as the least likely. He just doesn’t want it. I don’t see him getting power hungry now. They have tried to break sci-fi/fantasy tropes. This would be feeding into one.
8. Jon Snow needed to persuade Daenerys not Cersei about the White Walkers and he knew that- No signs of this being true. Rough sailing ahead for Jon and Dany to come. I can’t see this being another wave on that rocky ride.
9. Daenerys would not spare Jaime Lannister after the Field of Fire battle in Season 7 Episode 4- Wrong again. Though at that point, only Tyrion would have been there to protest. Still Dany would have use flames to show Jaime proper revenge. Though not justice considering what King Aerys was going to do almost a reverse of justice. But Daenerys Anti-Jaime stance in the beginning of Season 8 Episode 2 shows she still has a grudge. Wonder what it will be like moving forward. Will she send the Lannister brothers to broker peace?
10. Littlefinger is going to come back to life as a wight- I did not see him. And Aiden Gillen is not listed on his IMDb.com.
11. Cersei Lannister will not die- Still to be seen. This could be a big twist. HUGE. I believe George R.R. Martin asked Dan and Dave to change certain elements of the story to make the books different from the show. Was the Valonqar one of those things? If so, this speaks to the unreliability of prophecy. Especially because of its unspoken nature. Had she shared more with Jaime events could have been different. On the converse, Melisandre shared and was wrong plenty too. Either way; prophecy can be tricky(Hier that was promised, Azor Ahai, Last Hero as examples). Will Cersei allow herself to be captured? Would Daenerys or Jon kill her(since Cersei is the real enemy)?
12. Bran won’t quote just Jaime but others as well- Did not happen. He specifically only quoted Jaime. The one phrase that bears a personal significance to them both. Causing Jaime to apologize for this when he would not for other transgressions.
13. Ghost and Nymeria will both be in Season 8- Half right. We all saw Ghost, before the battle. He is in the trailer for episode 4. No Nymeria yet. Will she come in episode 5? Possibly so only half credit here.
14. Night King has a mission beyond Winterfell and Castle Black- Half wrong and half right. The Army of the Dead skipped Castle Black. It was not in their path and held no significance to them. But I was wrong about Winterfell. However it led to figuring out that the Night King’s mission was killing the current Three Eyed Raven. Why? Good question. I still don’t buy Bran’s explanation, at least not all of it.
15. Oldtown will be burned or destroyed- Not yet. I thought maybe the Night King would attempt to get rid of any and all knowledge in the world. Oldtown and specifically the Citadel is resident to the most knowledge in Westeros. Didn’t happen.
16. All Valyrian episode- Not at all likely. This was something I thought of and wanted to “put on paper”. I didn’t truly think it would happen it is just a fun thought. Not enough characters know Valyrian for it to happen. Still would have been interesting.
17. Season 8 premiere on 1 January 2019- Not even close. I mean I got the year correct. But we had 595 days between seasons. The premiere date seems to be driven more by finishing before Memorial Day weekend than anything.
It is always difficult to try to predict anything in Game of Thrones. I was sure that either Grey Worm or Missandei would die in Episode 3 because they were foolish enough to make plans for after the war in Episode 2. But they will both be in Episode 4. Though I still don’t know if they will both make it to the end.
It is even trickier to hope for anything. One thing I am hoping for, an epic dialogue between Cersei and Tyrion. It might include Jaime as well but maybe he comes in to save Tyrion? But Tyrion questioning big sis’ about her not coming to help with the White Walkers will be interesting. Their dialogues in the past have been so tense. It is so weird that in real life they are good friends. Likely Lena Headey knew about the gig because Peter Dinklage was the first choice for Tyrion.
There are still a lot of issues have been left up in the air. There may be a good reason. I can think of two, even they are currently unsatisfying. First reason might be George R.R. Martin (G.R.R.M.) has said he wants to describe certain events, origins or issues in the books only. For instance G.R.R.M. may want the only explanation for the motivation of Night King & The Others (aka the White Walkers or Craster’s Sons but not the mindless wights) to come from his books not the show. He may want only one canon source for that.
I don’t think this is probable. Mostly because there are book plots G.R.R.M. has said he wanted to see in the TV show. This does not seem like G.R.R.M.’s modus operandi. Plus all acknowledge the books have an immense amount of detail that would be costly to film. So much so that even the record breaking amount they spent on this last season would not be enough to film his full story. Which he wrote to be unadaptable.
The second reason might be G.R.R.M. does not intend on addressing the issue either. There is a general thought that the scariest explanation is none at all. Most people look for a reason behind anything occurring, whether it is good or bad. Especially in horror and suspense movies; having an undefined force that can wipe out thousands of people is terrifying. Maybe that is what G.R.R.M. wants?
There are plenty of events in the books that could use additional explanation. One big event that could use more clarity is the Tourney at Harrenhal. Who was the Knight of the Laughing Tree? What really happened with Ashara Dayne? What was Elia Martell doing during the tourney? So much could be filled in. It sucks that we don’t know more about this pivotal event. But there is a precedence for events left un
And G.R.R.M. has stated he won’t approve a series about it either. I have thought about how you could do one. But it would be limited. Maybe 15 episodes at most? The rebellion is separate really. Although if shot together; that would get to 30 episodes. Though it would be difficult to plan out all the sites. Heck it would be worthwhile to work it all out prior to shooting any of it. And that is not how shows are planned or paid for.